Author Topic: What the heck did I get?  (Read 298 times)

Offline Karebear32123

• Can't Back-up Straight
    • View Profile
  • State: FL
  • Type of Camper: Apache pop up
What the heck did I get?
« on: June 20, 2020, 08:20:51 PM »
Hey excited to have stumbled upon this site  :) I from New Port Richey area in Florida and have been looking for a pop up for awhile. I stumbled upon an Apache and have been doing some research. I found one to purchase and sent my husband to pick it up. It has more issues than what the seller disclosed which shouldn't surprise me. If possible could you fine people help me learn what model year I have? I believe its a Mesa unsure of the year. Measurements approximate 115" or 9'7" long, 6'8" wide and the beds are 48" wide. I am unable to locate the VIN number. The original color was possibly brown. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I am missing one gear box all together. Dont think there are any chains and I need to replace all the living edges. The pop up was sold to me and the seller attempted to lower, but we are unable to. The priority is the lift system then I will tackle the other issues.
Thanks in advance,
Karebear

Offline Terry

• Administrator
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Welcome to the campfire. Pull up a log and sit a spell. Tell us what is on your mind. 8)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hosttec.com
  • State: Florida
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer, 74 Mesa, 77 Mesa
Re: What the heck did I get?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 09:52:44 PM »
It is definitely a Mesa.  Can you post a picture of the bed end? Is there a plastic cover over the bottom extrusion that you grab to pull the bed out?

The serial number is usually on the top of the drivers side angle between the hitch and the camper..  It is usually painted over as it is lightly stamped in the top of this rail about midway back. If you can, use some paint stripper to remove the paint in this area.  Sanding may work but sand lightly so you don't disturb the metal.
Lost....But making good time.
http://www.hosttec.net

Offline Karebear32123

• Can't Back-up Straight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
Good morning,
Yes it does have plastic on the corner. I tried with the paint remover this morning but there is more rust than paint currently. On the top part of the hitch there is a stamp that states its rated for 5oolbs and the name Atwood and somewhere CA. On the door side there is a small metal plate but was unable match up the number looks like 0494367.
Thanks,
Kara

Offline Terry

• Administrator
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Welcome to the campfire. Pull up a log and sit a spell. Tell us what is on your mind. 8)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 05:29:10 PM »
What you have is the first year that they went fully hardside, a 1971.  Here is a 1971 Ramada that you can compare it to.  http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/MGalleryItem.php?id=6924
Here is a better picture of the bedend.

The badge is just an RV industry badge that means nothing about the production date.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:38:15 PM by Terry »

Offline Karebear32123

• Can't Back-up Straight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 10:03:56 PM »
Wow thank you so much, thats awesome. I was gonna guess a 73 or newer so glad I didnt order any parts yet. I was able to get the one gear box of and disassemble it partially. Letting it soak overnight in degreaser/cleaner. So far its not looking to good so probably will have to order a pair. Gonna try and check the chains tomorrow. Thanks again!
Kara

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
    • View Profile
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 11:00:40 PM »
Check on either side of the door for a tag.  One plate is a RV complaint and should be ignored.  Failing to locate a tag by the door, you will need to strip the paint off with a paint remover chemical.  The VIN/SN should be anywhere from behing the couple to under the propane  platform, but usually within a few inches behind the coupler.  Do not use a file or grinder, but steel wool will work  If you need to remove more paint, you will need to use acid and that requires a running hose with protective clothing.  Once you have the number, we can break the code down for you.  The number likely on top of the drivers A frame, but could be on the outside edge too.

The 1970 used a worm gear for the lift the next year changed to the small tooth gear box like a 2/3 oval, later the large tooth gearbox.  The large tooth gearbox is better and small and large teeth gear boxes are not inter changable.

48" beds makes it a Mesa most likely. 

I do have a ton of the manuals, but will need you email address.  I have the 74 Royal which is the next step up.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline raccoon

• Moose
    • View Profile
  • State: Ohio
  • Type of Camper: 79 Royal
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 08:05:02 AM »
on the 1971's the bed end window wall and the bed end roof fold up in to the main roof. 1972 and newer fold down on to the beds.
if you are seeing a dark brown color on the inside of the camper that is not the color of the camper just what was on the inside , there is a color chart on this site that can help.

Offline Terry

• Administrator
  • Vesely Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 01:28:19 PM »
I had forgotten that the bed ends folded up into the roof!  I only worked on one 71 and that was many years ago! Maybe 25 years??

Offline Karebear32123

• Can't Back-up Straight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 09:09:11 PM »

The bed window wall and the roof connect onto the main roof with a single snap. The bed sidewalls then fold onto the bed. I am redoing the living hinges this week, and hopefully the foam for the beds will come in. The interior is rusty brown and there are some areas on the outside that are the same color rusty brown. I haven't decided what I want to color it yet so gonna leave that for a bit. Thanks for help everyone.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.